Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Postcard Pics

Stockmann's still holds lots of fun treats, even though I couldn't find any juustusai or Pirnugruuv (I heard they don't mak that anymore!!). It is so much fun walking through the ailes and finding all of our old favorite treats: Fazer Domino cookies, Hiirte juust, Poltsamaa ounavirsiku mahl, Axa muesli, Alma koupiimakreem, Orbit ouna gum, etc.

Then we headed out to Old Town for a shopping and exploration excursion and had a lot of success. We started at the Viru Turg and checked out the sweaters and other things, then it was off to the Apollo Bookstore. Tony was happy with his good finds--Lennart Meri's Hobevalge and Andrus Kivirahk's Mees kes Teadis Ussisona and I was very happy with mine--Harry Potter ja Tarkade Kivi (Harry Potter and the Philosoper's Stone).

Then we headed to sweater row to the obligatory suveniir pood hunting for dishes and t-shirts. While there, we wound around onto Kateriina Kaik to watch the artisans preparing their wares. I had so much fun taking pictures--I will have to put a whole album together just of the doors of Old Town because I stopped about every ten feet to take pictures.

Eventually, we made it to the Oleviste Kirik and decided to go to the top. The stairway was pretty narrow, and when people were trying to pass going the other direction, you had to press yourself against the wall to let them by. Good thing there were ropes. Once we got to the top, I was feeling brave until a gust of wind came and I thought I felt the tower move. My courage failed me further when I realized the viewing platform was made of wooden pallets and a loosely-welded hand rail. It was so narrow, everyone had to go in one direction, and in some places, you really had to squeeze tightly. But, the view was incredible. I kept recognizing postcard shots through my own viewfinder. Earlier at the Apollo, I had noticed a postcard in which Toompea was exactly between the Nevsky Cathedral and Toompea Kirik, and I had wondered if they photoshopped it. But, I found the same shot with my camera. It really was a spectacular view and great to see out over the whole city.

Then, we headed up Pikk Tanav and took in the interesting buidings there, like the Three Sisters and the Dragon Gallery and the Mustapea Maja. And then we finally found a great, authentic Estonian souvineer shop: Eesti Kasitoo. I am finally officially married now that I have an apron to wear with my rahvariided. And, we found some pins, although I think I will return to exchange mine for a better one. The owner had me describe my costume and she went for a book and flipped through like a master at work, searching for just the right formula. I really had no appreciation for how seriously Estonians take their rahvariided.

We caught the bus to Kakumae for a party at Aili and Toomas Klesment's. It was so much fun! They started out with champagne and caviar and they prepared a wonderful barbeque for us. The pork was delicious. Aili said that all of the mushrooms for her salad were picked in or near her yard and she made the ketchup from scratch. it was a lot of fun getting to know the Teose kids and cousins better. Then we did some social dances and walked out to the beach. Oh....it felt so good! My feet were so tired by that time, and the water was so shallow, we could walked out far, and we still didn't get wet above our knees. Then back to the Klesment's for singing--it felt like appetizers for next week's music. I can't wait.

We ended our day with a little bit of relaxation and ETV. Guess who we saw? Chris Chan, singing his heart out in Saaremaa on a program about the Laulupidu Flame making its way toward Tallinn. It is great to feel so connected to this magnificent place.

No comments:

Post a Comment