Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 2009

I never thought ten years ago, on that day when I feel so deeply in love with Estonia and the Estonian people, that I would be able to participate in these same beautiful traditions. I remember being so jealous of the culture, that we don't have any old traditions in America that date back to so long ago, and we don't have these beautiful costumes that tie you to your land, people, and history. It is a really meaningful experience being able to take part in such a long-standing tradition. I'm so sad we only have one performance to go!

Today was fabulous! The second performance went really well, and it was fun to be able to relax a little and enjoy the experience. When we were leaving the field, I could see Erika Polendrik standing and clapping with both of her hands high above her head. She is a great cheerleader. As soon as the performance was over, we all met up at Kalev and Janne's car for sandwiches and a brisk sprint to the parade's starting place.

The parade was a neat experience. People lined the street for miles on both sides cheering and waving to us. They would shout things like "Tere Tulehoidjad" or "Eluge Tulehoidjad." Tony carried the flag in the front, and I was in the back with Matti, Mark, and Elo. My parents followed us along the parade route and took some great pictures. It was nice to look into people's faces and wave and have them wave back and smile. We walked down Mere Pst. over to Narva Mnt. up to the Lauluvaljak. We walked by three of my very favorite places in Tallinn: Gonsiori 3 (my first apartment in Tallinn that I lived for almost 1 year), Irena's apartment (where I have many happy memories), and Roussalka (I was so happy when I discovered that Tallinn had an a angel statue since Far Away, So Close was my favorite movie just before I left on my mission).

Tony and I had the best dinner: grilled salmon and sashlok with rice and vegetables. While we were waiting for the festivities to begin, we walked out to the water's edge and took in the view of Pirita, Viimse, and the skyline of Tallinn. When we came back, the whole Laulavaljak grounds were full of people as the parade had been continuing while we were gone. In fact, the parade was so long, that it did not end until 7:45 or so. It lasted just over 5 hours! We ran into Kennet Jogi and his cute daughter as we were looking for my parents.

As soon as they invited the singers to come up, it started to rain. We all got out our ponchos as the whole Laulalava filled with people holding hands as they climbed all of the steps. We had excellent seats - 19th row, dead center. We had a really good view of the conductors, which was nice because Veljo Tormis conducted the opening song, Koit. Hirvo Surva was also there and many others like Leeme Jarvi. The music was amazing! It was wonderful to sing the national anthem together and to hear the original version of My Isamaa on Minu Arm.

The rain continued to get worse as the night went on. I know my mom had to have been freezing. Yeah for rahvariided, tough! I knew that wool skirt made it better for Estonians somehow. We were some of the loyalists, but about 2/3 of the people were gone by about 2/3 of the way through. Too bad becase some of the best music was near the end of the show. I had been especially looking forward to Credo by Part, but when it was actally performed, it turned out to be something completely different, very atonal and mixed with the traditional Ave Maria's Bach accompaniment. Why, Arvo, why? But the wind orchestra did a really fun medly of 5 songs from the Awakening time. My other favorites were Beethoven's Halleljah from Christ on the Mount of Olives, the Pilgram's Chorus from one of Wagner's operas, and Gypsy Chorus from one of Verdi's operas, and of course, Carmina Burana. The rain didn't seem to bother the singers. They were still dancing and swaying and waving their Eesti flags! Let's just hope that our rahvariided are dry for tomorrow: Homme Jalle!

1 comment: